Marketing horrors you need to avoid in your marketing
Just for fun we have highlighted some ‘bone chilling’ marketing errors this Halloween that are either unethical or downright bad practice.
1. You focus purely on your product or services features and neglect the benefits . It is important to think about our customers their challenges and the problem your service or product solves to create the messages that really resignate with your customers.
2. You have a one size fits all approach. Generic messaging is never as effective as it could be. Identifying and targeting each of your specific customer segments with messages tailored to each of your segments needs will yield better results. This can be also a greener approach especially for direct mail or email marketing.
3. You copy your competitors marketing and assume their marketing must be working. Not only is this unethical but it often fails to highlight your real USPs. Without a clear strategy and plan of action behind your marketing activity you could end up wasting time and money.
4. Your SEO oversights are leaving you ghosted. You want your customers to be able to find you quickly online but if you make the scary mistake of going overboard and throwing in too many keywords in your content the google spiders will penalise you if you have content with keyword density that is higher than 1-2%. Google doesn’t like manipulation and when your content is caught you will be punished.
A trick with a treat often overlooked is the importance of a Google MyBusiness presence for local business marketing. This has Google maps integration and is a great way to be picked up in local searches . Without it your business may be destined to be invisible.
Creating good quality inbound links from high-ranking sites with optimised content and an intuitive website architecture are all great ways to get seen online.
5. You have no budget and don’t track marketing spend. Of course small businesses don’t gave loads of money to spend on marketing but if you do spend you need to acknowledge the fact. Money vampires will suck your wallet dry if you are not careful. It is frighteningly tempting to be swayed by blood thirsty salespeople selling anything and everything from sponsorship to online ads. Always track the effectiveness of your marketing and consider if it is the best use of your hard earnt cash against all the options available.
6. You treat marketing as a tick box exercise. You have a website, you put out a new blog once a month. You post regularly on Facebook and Instagram but lack clear direction and planning. A thought-out strategy with activity schedule will ensure you are regularly and consistently reaching the right audience in the right place at the right time with the right message.
Marketing Superpower offers ethical and sustainable marketing for heart-led and sustainable businesses. If you would like to find out how we can help you go to littlegreenmarketingcompany.co.uk or get in contact email@example.com.